Friday, 7 March 2014

Lenten reset : day three

I don't know if I will have something to observe, a discovery to report, or feelings to explore here every day in Lent, I suspect not, but these first few days have been profound.

These were my thoughts at the end of the day yesterday:

I look in the mirror and see what looks like a cancer patient looking back at me.
It reminds me of how any one of us could be struck down next. How everyone of us is touched by this plague, experiences loss at its hand.
I see my mortality. Our human vulnerability, fragility.
I have just got used to seeing my strength, claiming wellness as my normal after a lifetime of fragile health - migranes, back pain, depression, susceptibility to injury and every winter bug.
The return of such stark awareness of fragility is a shock.
But the strength is not invisible. It's still there. In my eyes.

I am so nervous about going out in the world. About other people's reactions.
Is this how a person feels, having lost their hair through cancer treatment?
Is this the empathy we wondered if I would discover?



Today I attended an ecumenical gathering for World Day of Prayer, and friends and strangers were interested to hear the reason for the shaved head, and all were affirming of the actions I am taking. My story evoked stories, reminiscing, pondering from others.
Gifts, all of it, the sharing, the connecting, the affirmation and interest.
The experience deepens.


No comments: