Monday, 3 March 2014

in which I blow my fuse at offensive comments

This one has been building for a couple of weeks, with another election campaign full of ads just short of abuse, comments on facebook and elsewhere about cricketers as morons, and today a tweet about the movies of a particular actor as a waste of space.

I have had enough.

I have had enough of humans talking about humans who are somewhat removed because they are a public figure of some description as if they are removed - animated, fictional, not real.

It may come as a surprise, people, but these politicians, sports people and actors are people too - and I, for one, am going to make a concerted effort to eradicate those comments from my mouth, pen and keyboard that denigrate another human being. If I would be hurt by what I am thinking of saying, I will not say it about someone else. I can not speak that way about other human beings any more. It makes me feel ill when I hear / read it from others - more so from myself.

I can not change anyone else. I can only change me. So I will. But don't think I won't call you to account if I find your comments offensive in their diminishing of another's humanity. Because you will be diminishing your, and my, humanity too.

And I have had enough.

No comments: