Saturday, 15 June 2013

in gratitude for some sublime story singers

When I discovered the choral concert in the cathedral in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago, I thought, what better way to experience a church than with music resounding through its spaces. It seems others also appreciate the combining of music and church space, for a series of music events have been created in Australia with the title Heavenly Sounds - and I am so grateful to my dear friend Mel for inviting me to go along to Kate Miller-Heidke's concert in the current Heavenly sounds tour.

In the Flinders Street Baptist Church last night, then, we were first delighted and moved by Brendan McLean in support, whose quirky and eccentric persona matched his quirky lyrics. The music was clever without being pretentious or showy - demonstrating obvious depth of understanding of musicality, and using the music in innovative and surprising ways in support of the lyrics. I felt as though, for brief moments, McLean allowed the persona to peel back a little to reveal something more raw and vulnerable of himself, and found in those moments a deeper connection with him - though certainly still connected and entertained throughout.

Miller-Heidke & Kier Nutter also demonstrate breadth and depth of musical understanding and gift that is actually, now I come to write, beyond my describing. Miller-Heidke's use of her considerable operatic talent is stunning in its imaginative, playful, skillfulness. Nutter's partnering of Miller-Heidke demonstrates a generosity that is enabled by a sureness of self and respect for another and the music. They create moments of humour, poignancy, delight and awe. They tell stories with their songs with vulnerability that invites deep connection with their audience. They use language - words and music - to communicate with honesty. And I love that you know clearly that Kate Miller-Heidke is Australian, from her accent to her choice of words.

As I said in my tweet. Sublime.

No comments: