Monday, 27 April 2009

Rita Levi-Montalcini

a friend sent me this link this morning. worth the time to read it. 
Levi-Montalcini is indeed an extraordinary woman, though I have two responses. 

she sounds like a work-aholic (does she have silence, rest, time out? I'm reading a book on women peace makers, and they mostly derive strength from their silent time, meditation, prayer ...), and eating once a day wouldn't work for very many people ... 

she says she can't believe in a God who rewards and punishes ... well neither can I. 
can we help people name Sacred experiences as encounters with God, help them know God in terms other than reward and punishment? 
should we even try? is it arrogant to assume that a person who cannot believe in a God who rewards and punishes should believe in God ... 

3 comments:

Michelle Coram said...

As someone who is fond of men, food AND sleep, I am surely doomed :-)

sarah agnew said...

mmm, me too!!

Marnie said...

Me also - what deprivation! The price one pays for genius, maybe? Ah well, there have to be some compensations for not being single-minded, obsessive, work-oriented and so much smarter than everyone else...