Wednesday, 6 May 2015

taking all you've granted

sometimes I take for granted
the space and time I have for dreaming,
the means to make my way
towards those dreams, the cheer
squad's banners and buckets of gold

sometimes I take for granted
the space and time for dreams,
such luxury never dreamed of
in bunkers, tents and leaky boats
of refuge, freedom dared to come

sometimes I take for granted
walls and windows, curtains, heated
floor and safe warm bed,
fruit juice and ice cream, eggs
and potatoes and milk

sometimes I take for granted
the roof overhead, overhearing
nothing of the street-sleeping cries
for change, starvation
feeding gutters running dry of all compassion

sometimes I take for granted
telephone, computer, satellite
connection, the postcard posted
through the door, unlocking
isolation's padlock on the mind

sometimes I take for granted
connection to the world and Love,
assume you know that I am
and never showing, not performing
a response more worthy of the gift

Sarah Agnew


No comments: