Monday, 2 December 2013

Christmas anticipation




Christmas draws near / I warm up my voice / turn up the volume / and belt out old favourites / while the season / lasts.

Christmas draws near / a challenge : find less commercial gifts / for the ones I love / more costly gifts / for ones I do not know.

Christmas draws near / and families are everywhere / children laughing / rings bittersweet / and solitude / grows harder to bear.

Christmas draws near / memories surface / Christmas past / the ghosts of / two young men / haunt me / with a smile and falling / tears / two women / one a ghost already / one ghostly / two more
tears


Christmas draws near / season of peace / uncovers new depth to anger / at injustice / and war / violence / and hatred / questions resolve / against my own / inaction

Christmas draws near / I think of Christ / strangely enough / who lived these many moods / and I look for him / everywhere / with expectation.



On Wisdom's Wings, p. 106

No comments: